Finnabair's Store7 Dots StudioFlickrPinterestFacebookTwitterBlog

2022-06-10

Memento mori by Lori Woods

 


Hello creative friends! 

Today I have a canvas for you inspired by the phrase Memento mori. Latin for 'remember that you have to die', it may seem like a rather morbid topic for a project but it actually reminds us to celebrate and enjoy life while we can. 

I loved the effect I got from using resist canvas in my last project that I had to use it again for this one! I laid it down in strips to create a background almost like old wallpaper. I then layered up various embellishments and mould pieces and gave everything a good coating of white gesso.


Originally I thought I would keep the canvas as a monochrome palette and used Ink Black acrylic paint to create shadows and highlight the details but I realised I wanted some colour. Purples and reds from the liquid acrylics range were perfect- I watered them down quite a lot which gave me a good balance between vibrant colour without being too intense. Again I got out my white gesso and gave everything a good dry brush to create an old vintagey effect. A bit of Vintage Silk wax to highlight some details and I was done!



I have a video for you here if you'd like to watch the whole process: 


Mixed Media Place supplies:

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please note: leaving a comment on this website means you agree for us to store and process your data (such as user ID) for communication, education and marketing purposes. More information on our Privacy Policy is listed on the blog.