Finnabair's Store7 Dots StudioFlickrPinterestFacebookTwitterBlog

2015-04-30

Spring Magnets

With beautiful month of May just around the corner, let's feel inspired by blooming flowers and bring them home onto... your fridge. ;)


In the last few months I've been experimenting a lot with a freehand drawing designs.
I've made lots of art journal pages with my drawings, but this time I wanted to make something more "useful" and practical. I decided to make some fridge magnets - something nice and funny to "lighten up" my kitchen. :)
Spring is my favourite time of the year - I feel new power, have plenty of new ideas. I love warm cozy days and everything blooming.
Wild spring flowers on my fridge - this sounds like a very good idea. :)


All the magnets are made the same way - I used an ATC size die and a thick cardboard covered with watercolor paper.
I have my special technique... :) First, I draw my design with black markers then cover it with clear gesso. This way I can be sure that my design will be waterproof and also the gesso is a great base for paints and inks.



My favourite way is to mix different kind of media - here you can find amazing vibrant Dylusions inks, beautiful sparkly Silks paints and a bit of Lindy's Stamp Gang mists.
I like to combine matte and shiny medias - it makes a great contrast.




For the shadows I usually use Stamper Big Brush Pens from Faber-Castell. They are filled with India ink which makes them waterproof, but on a non-porous surface (like gesso) you actually have few seconds before they dry. That is a great moment to smudge them. You can use a cotton stick or... your fingers. :)




When I was happy with the results, I covered all the magnets with clear UTEE. It creates great shiny surfaces, almost like glass or resin. I wanted to have a smooth surface so I used three layers of UTEE. I hope you can see how amazing it looks. :)



I hope you like my spring flower magnets. Maybe you will feel inspired to make your own?

Materials from Mixed Media Place:

4 comments:

  1. Beautiful spring magnets! So vibrant and cool!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really love these! It makes me totally happy just to look at them.. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Gorgeous,vibrant magnets!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Gorgeous,vibrant magnets!

    ReplyDelete

Please note: leaving a comment on this website means you agree for us to store and process your data (such as user ID) for communication, education and marketing purposes. More information on our Privacy Policy is listed on the blog.