Finnabair's Store7 Dots StudioFlickrPinterestFacebookTwitterBlog

2015-11-21

Third time’s the charm

When you think mixed media, you should think Riikka!
Our super talented girl is able to make amazing works from only few art products. She turns everything into most inspirational art! Don't you think?




 

Long time ago in a faraway land… Um, no. Not a fairy tale this one. But well over a year ago I made a heart canvas inspired by my favorite band (http://mixedmediaplace.blogspot.fi/2014/07/heart-of-turisas.html). When I then started to think about new workshops it popped into my mind, maybe partly because it hangs in my work space. As people were asking me to turn that one into a workshop I answered the call and created a canvas workshop based on the first one. 



Last month I kept the workshop for the first time and of course needed to create a sample for it. So that was the second time for me to do the piece. And this one is the third one – started on the workshop, finished at home.



For this piece I used blue color scheme and that really was a struggle for me as I strongly see the piece in its original colors – red and black. But I managed to make myself to grab the blue and turquoise mists instead of red ones. And that’s telling a lot because it’s usually just the other way around – I gravitate towards the blues and need to push myself with the reds. Funnily enough, I didn’t quite feel the piece in blues so the big difference became when I added just a few hints of rusty brown to the canvas. First I added a few sprays of mists and then made the gears around the edge using a stencil and ink.



To finish this piece I went “Finnabair” and added rays of light coming from the lightbulb. Somehow she manages to make those streaks always so stunning but mine weren’t that good just by using a brush. So I took a finer tool and finished the rays using a white Sharpie.

If you take a look of the original one (http://mixedmediaplace.blogspot.fi/2014/07/heart-of-turisas.html) and this, which one is your favorite? I believe you can guess mine!


Xoxo Riikka



Materials:

5 comments:

  1. So beautiful!! I love them both - but as blue is my favorite color - I am leaning toward this as my fav! Your heart does look like it is putting off light rays - awesome. The touches of the rust color are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  2. It's amazing! I love it!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Riika this is awesome.. I love your project. The heart looks fabulous. I like the idea of adding metal tape and the pattern you made on the heart with a knitting needle. It gives such an industrial effect.
    Thank you for sharing your lively art.
    Hugs from Monica.... Spain

    ReplyDelete
  4. I did as you suggested and took a look at the first one. I have to say you totally captured the spirit of the song that inspired you. But I have to say this one the blue one is my favorite. I like the dark elements in it...and then the light rays coming from it. This piece has a simple yet hopeful aspect to it. This one I can look at every day. Great job a real charm...and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I did as you suggested and took a look at the first one. I have to say you totally captured the spirit of the song that inspired you. But I have to say this one the blue one is my favorite. I like the dark elements in it...and then the light rays coming from it. This piece has a simple yet hopeful aspect to it. This one I can look at every day. Great job a real charm...and inspiration.

    ReplyDelete

Please note: leaving a comment on this website means you agree for us to store and process your data (such as user ID) for communication, education and marketing purposes. More information on our Privacy Policy is listed on the blog.